One of the things we are excited to get started this year is our food hedge or “fedge” (which is just really fun to say). It will be small this year but we want to get it going to be a block for wind, road noise and add just a teensy bit of privacy from passers by. Also, how great would it be to be able to grab fresh fruit and nuts when we’re hungry and working out in the yard?
This year we ordered:
- Rose bushes with big hips
- Aronia – This is a very productive cranberry-like fruit. It has dark violet berries that are great for juices, jams and wines (which is why we got it).
- Grapes (For wine of course!)
- Kiwi – A variety that looks like large green grapes, no fuzzy skin and grows in zones 4-9.
- Hops – The vines are gorgeous with white flowers and they grow quickly up fences or trellises.
We ordered a few apple trees as well as strawberries for the back.
This week I am starting my tomato seeds and next week peppers. The broccoli has already taken off…I’ll post an update later this week.